Thursday, November 12, 2015

A poem for Throwback Thursday

Helping Shelbs with her wedding last month constantly had me thinking back to when I first got married--what an unappreciated time! Date nights galore! 10 lbs skinnier! Not farting in front of each other! The list could go on and on.

After Shelbs got married, I hadn't really thought much about my wedding (besides on my anniversary, of course!), but as me and Shelbs were on our bike ride today, I couldn't help but think back to that time in my life when me and Chris were engaged, and then newlyweds. What a fun time! Then I remembered that my dad had found the poem he wrote for my wedding dinner a couple weeks ago... so I thought I'd share with blog world before I forgot again, because I love it.  My dad is the best at writing poems, and this one is probably my favorite. Mostly because it swears, but also because my dad wrote it + it makes me think back to that fun and exciting time in my life.

Enjoy!

Shayli’s Wedding Dinner  
(Shelby read the  underlined verses)

A September day, the twenty-fourth
Nineteen Ninety One
Our fourth of five was born, at last!
A girl!, and not a son. 

Months before a deal was made
The gender? Dad had to know
But Mom, she wanted to be surprised
Dad kept it on the down low

So Shay was born, a prank was set
Even the nurse complied
A boy blue cap on her head was placed
When Grandma came in she cried!

Another boy?  She said to mom
It almost made her hurl
She eventually found at diaper change
That Shayli was a girl. 

Shay added much to family life
Exception from the boys. 
Christmas, birthdays, and other times
Required much different toys.    

Dress up, dolls, most girlie things
She even ran some track
Running, gymnastics, and other sports
She seemed to have a knack

We both enjoy cheerleading and dance
Anything like that we try
In lieu of athletics, Cheerleading was it
My dad, he wanted to cry.

A softball player I hoped she’d be
We often practiced pitches
But Cheerleading gods, they got involved
Those dirty sons of bitches!

Driving cars, she does quite well
Really, we’ve had good luck
Chris, I feel I need to warn you now. 
She gravitates to trucks


So while we’re on this subject…
First day of college… remember?
She called my dad on the phone to say…
Her fault in a rear-ender!

A favorite time our family had
Oh, you had to be alert!
Who dared to wake our Shayli up?
A nap would get you hurt. 

Shay and Shelbs, I am proud to say
My girlie girls shoot guns
Hunter Safety they took and passed
One upping all three sons

We are so close, adventures many
Definitely all are wins
While out together some people thought
We were the Olsen Twins

Her wit is quick her humor keen
She makes us laugh all night
Quoting lines from movies is
A hoot, so fun, R-I-G-H-T!

So much for that let’s get to Chris
To us he is quite tall
Do you know when you passed the test?  (PAUSE)
Yes, at animal ball!

A little worried, I will admit
Basketball player?  What!
Holding your own at our crazy game…
That’s when you made the cut. 

We love your laugh you fit right in
I get a great new brother
I also know that for my sis,
For her there is no other

Welcome Chris, we love you both
Only the best we wish
I am still amazed that you could teach

A princess how to fish!

 photo postsignature.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I died reading this. Your dad is the best! Also, he should be a poet full time. I mean, really. He's got talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! He's so talented! ... but he'll never admit it.

      Delete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS