Monday, August 17, 2015

my life is ending tomorrow

^^What a dark + dramatic title for this post, right?^^ But it's true... my life is ending tomorrow. Well, according to my mother-in-law and all other teacher's alike it is, because tomorrow I start my contract time as a full-time teacher (I just peed a little typing that)! WHAT?! Time to find those big girl pants I stuffed in the back of my closet way back in April, I guess.

In all honesty though, I'm excited to start being in the classroom--I need structure back in my life! I think the most structure I've had this summer is making sure I wake up in time to watch Live with Kelly & Michael and transfer clothes to the dryer before the mildew sets it. Also, anyone who knows me knows that I'm already ready for fall. It's not even summer to me anymore, it's just heat + chafed thighs.

Don't mistake my readiness for fall as me having a miserable summer, though. I have fully enjoyed it! In fact, last week was probably the best week of my summer yet, and what I've declared as "What the Summer of Shay was supposed to look like" all wrapped up into one week!  So here's what it looked like:

Monday: 
-Riding bikes with Chris to the temple and then admiring the temple from a distance in Tom and Martha's hot tub.

Tuesday:
-Going to see a movie at 10:30 in the morning with Martha... just because!
-Adding a bike to the family after having so much fun on Monday (click here to read Tonk's labor & delivery story)

Wednesday:
-Going on a looooong walk with Shelbs + discovering the amazingness of the dole whip shack in Pleasant Grove. Very good thing this wasn't discovered until last week, or there would've been a lot more thigh chafing this summer.
-Repelling for Young Women's. So scary, but what's the Summer of Shay without a little adventure? (and by adventure I mean slipping off the ledge and almost swearing in front of my bishop)
Thursday:
-School clothes shopping! Chris is convinced that the only reason I became a teacher was so that I'd always have summer off AND the excuse to go school clothes shopping (he's kind of right).
-Riding FrontRunner up to Salt Lake to meet Chris for an early date night! Chris wanted us to try this fancy Mexican restaurant called Alamexo and ay ay ay! It was SO good. My heart skips a beat just thinking about the queso and the complimentary churros! So, so yummy...  and a little pricey,.. but, yolo?
-Chris also taking me to get ice cream after dinner. Even though the place we went to didn't have the pineapple/coconut ice cream he was hoping for, we still indulged in some chocolate coconut ice cream.

Friday:
-Riding my bike on the Murdock Canal Trail to Pleasant Grove to visit my grandparents.
-Stopping at my parent's and making myself at home to the leftovers in their fridge.
-Tagging along on my parent's date night to Mi Ranchitos and then going to see The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (thanks, mom and dad!)

Saturday:
-Another walk with Shelbs.
-Swimming with the Gourley gang!
-Another dole whip.
-Sleeping over with the roomie's and watching another movie with Martha.

Sunday:
-Chris arriving home from his fella's camping trip!!!
-Celebrating Tom and Martha's 40th anniversary! And for anyone wondering, the secret to 40 years of marriage, it's p a t i e n c e ... or just knowing when to turn your head (advice from Tom G. ha!). Congrats, roomies!!!


What more could I ask for in the last week of the Summer of Shay?! Truth: probably more dole whip...but other than that, probably nothing!


Now off to recover those big girl pants...

 photo postsignature.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit... I'm a little jealous. I never have regretted the fact that I didn't go into teaching like I originally planned... But after going to my little sister's 7th grade open house today and reading that you start full time teaching tomorrow.... I am now kind of regretting it, haha. You'll do so great. Also, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Britt! I'm so excited. I totally get how you feel though... sometimes I get a little jealous of my friends that are nurses now when I see them post stuff about it. I just remind myself how terrible some of my nursing classes were and I feel better about my decision to teach ;) ANYWAY, I miss you too! Me, Dani, Melissa, Ariel, and Lauren are all getting together tomorrow to catch up... sad you can't be with us! :(

      Delete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS