Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cross Country






Ah, cross country camp... so fun, so loud, so hard, so crazy, and so many Otter Pops (the roof of my mouth feels like the equivalent of eating a bowl of Cap'n Crunch! but when there's a whole freezer dedicated to just Otter Pops, you gotta take advantage, right!?)!!

Seriously though, camp was so much fun! Even if it did rain every single day. We still managed to go running twice a day (hard runs! I've never wanted to puke after a run until camp), go tube the river, play at the swimming pool, play ultimate Frisbee, and go get ice cream in town. By the way, going to the river and the swimming pool counted as our showers for the week--just FYI. Also, it didn't hurt that I got completely showered with compliments every single day from the girls, either. I know, I know... I shouldn't get excited when teenage girls compliment me, but when they're saying things like, "Your hair is so gorgeous!" "Your makeup is perfect!" "You have the cutest clothes!" and "You are just perfect!"  it's hard to come home and not have your husband say the same things when you get ready for church. Poor Chris...

Anyway, I think my favorite part about camp was really just getting to know the kids better. They are amazing- I didn't know high school kids could be so respectful and spiritual! Being with them made me so excited to be a teacher someday...but I have to keep reminding myself that the cross country kids are a rare breed, and not all of my students are going to be amazing and respectful ;) But a girl can dream, right?

Being at camp also made me realize how awesome cross country really is, and now I am kicking myself because I didn't do it in high school. Like, why did I not know this awesome secret called cross country?! I feel like the cross country team does not get the recognition it deserves. These kids are so tough! Physically and mentally. I saw this for myself while I was waiting at the end of the race "Wolverine" that's basically 1.2 miles straight uphill (this is the race all the kids are afraid of) and just watching them cross that finish line was so emotional for me! I had to try so hard to hold back my tears haha I was just so dang proud of them all! And if that didn't tug at my heartstrings enough, all the people who finished first would go back and encourage and even run with the others that were struggling to keep going. So awesome, right!? I just love how united they are as a team.

Now that my coaching internship is coming to a close this week, I can't help but be a little bummed. I've spent almost every single morning with these kids this summer! Who's going to teach me how to use Twitter? And who will talk about trashy celebrities with me while I'm running!?  But most importantly, who's going to motivate me to keep going, even when I'm sure that I can't? I love these kids so much, and I'm definitely going to miss them. This experience has taught me so many things about myself, about running, and about life.

I've learned...

-Attitude really is everything--If you think you're not going to make it up that hill, you're not.
-Negativity spreads like wildfire.
-While you're running and you think, Why am I doing this to myself?!  then you're doing it right.
-You're capable of more than you think.
-Life is just like running a race: You can prepare, push through the hard parts, and cross the finish line, or you can procrastinate, give up, and let your team down--it's all your choice.
-A 12 minute mile is just as far as a 6 minute mile.

Now that I've had my clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose! moment, I'll also tell you that I've learned that you "Don't put twinkies on your pizza!" (name that movie!) as all the cross country kids like to say, and also that I'm capable of going 5 days without Chris and Dirty Dr. Pepper--it's not pretty, but it's possible. Kind of like running.

 photo postsignature.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Aw Shay!! This is amazing!!! Seriously, so happy for you! I used to run a couple times a week with the XC at Timp and it's true -- they are a rare breed! I swear the most genuine kids you'll find!!!
    My work has unlimited dum dum suckers and otterpops so I totally know what you mean about loosing the top of your mouth...!
    I absolutely love this post, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you talking about running with the cross country team when we were in cheer! haha so funny that I remember that... but yes! They really are the most amazing kids! And I'm glad you know the struggle that is otterpops destroying the roof of your mouth! haha

      Delete
  2. I may not run but trashy celebrities are kind of my thing.....wait, did I just openly admit that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure you could teach the gumball game those lines. "You're so pretty..." Tell them it takes two compliments for a gumball.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS