Thursday, May 14, 2015

Celebrating Emily

It's crazy to think that it was only a month ago that my grandma passed away--it definitely feels longer. I miss her. A lot. Which is why I decided to finally look at some of the pictures my cousin, Cassie, took at my grandma's funeral.

I'll be honest...at first I thought it was kinda weird that my cousin was wandering around with her nice camera taking pictures of everyone and everything that day (Is that funeral etiquette?), but now I'm grateful she did, because they have provided some comfort. I love being able to look back on that day and see how much love and support my once basically orphan grandma had accumulated over her life! I also love that Cassie snapped some pictures of me and my sister with our grandpa--I will cherish those pictures forever! Which is why I decided to put those + other pictures from that day on the blog.
^^My absolute favorite picture^^

I couldn't help but be a little sad thinking about how our kids won't get to meet their great grandma Sanderson in this life, or have the pleasure of going to her house and being greeted by the twinkle in her eye, but I am excited to tell them all about her when the time comes. I can't wait to tell them that their great grandma was alive when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and that she thought about becoming a nurse once, and that she made yummy chocolate cake and that she always denied putting cool whip on her toast and most importantly, that she was a simple lady who found the most joy in living the Gospel and simply visiting with her family and friends... and the occasional trip to the D.I. :) My kids will definitely know who grandma Sanderson is and the love I have for her.

So while today may be kind of a sad anniversary, I want to make it a day of celebrating Emily! So be sure to eat an extra treat...or two... because that's what she did even though she was diabetic (she's the only person I'm okay with doing that). And if you're able, find a Shirley Temple movie to watch! And most importantly, stop and visit with someone and try to make them feel like the most important person in the world... like she did.

 photo postsignature.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I loved this read! Its always fun hearing more and more about her.She truly had a twinkle in her eye.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS