Monday, January 12, 2015

The New Rule

As of Fall 2014, a new rule has been enforced in the Gourley home: No more than one meal of taco soup for (at least) every three weeks.

Seems like a funny rule, but there is a reason for it. You see, in 2013 I may or may not have gotten a little taco soup happy. Meaning, I had a new soup recipe every week that I was SO excited to try. Six-can taco soup! Chicken enchilada soup! Fiesta nacho cheese soup! Beefy nacho soup! Chicken-taco-fiesta-enchilada-soup! Basically, if you just throw a bunch of Mexican words into a sentence, it's probably the name of a soup I made that year. Chris was starting to sense a pattern. So was his lunchbox. So one day, bless his heart, he said so sweetly, "Hey babe, do you think...maybe...we could have soup that isn't taco soup?"

I tried so hard to explain that taco soup and chicken enchilada soup are NOT the same, but Chris pointed out that if it's made in the crockpot and served over chips, it's taco soup. No matter what the name is. Touche salesman, touche. So after that little heart to heart, the rule of no more than one meal of taco soup every three weeks was set in stone for the 2014 season of soup.

But can you blame me for wanting to make taco soup?! It's easy, quick, convenient, and low maintenance--the booty call of soups, if you will. And after attempting to get out of my taco soup comfort zone tonight, I am reminded of why I love making taco soup so much. No making a roux, chopping up veggies, or washing more than one pan! Which was exactly what I had to do for tonight's Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup . Never.again.


Luckily for me, my mom was able to refer me to this recipe, which is a creamy soup, but made the same way my beloved taco soup is! Just throw everything in the crockpot and forget about it. It's even Chris-approved! I've had to restrain myself from making it every day, though. Still going strong!

Anyone else have any soup recipes that may fall under the "booty call" category? If so, please share! I'm thinking I'm going to need a lot more now that I'm student teaching... goodbye folded laundry + clean house. I'll see you in April.

 photo postsignature.jpg

3 comments:

  1. So stinking funny.
    6 can taco soup is a staple around here...I might just make it tomorrow!

    But that said, let's have a soup conversation next time we're togethr. Soup is one of my favorite things to make and eat. We've had some good ones lately. Maybe we can discuss it over a make-up makeover??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yes, yes, and YES! My JH palette just shipped today, too! So definitely going to need to discuss soups while I'm making you over with that bad boy!

      Delete
  2. I have tons!!!! I have a Fiesta Soup too... I should just give you one of my recipe books.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS