Friday, September 23, 2016

because I haven't mentioned teaching in a while

If you're wondering why September's almost over and I still haven't posted about my students/teaching in general, you're not alone--I'm wondering the same thing! Because it's definitely not for lack of content... there is never a dull moment in jr. high! I'm certain of it. I guess you could blame my lack of blogging this month on the fact that season 14 of the Ellen show started! Chris walks in from work almost every single day to me in mid-ugly-crying-from-Ellen-feels-face, and man, that can really take it out of ya! In all seriousness though, there have been a lot of changes (good and bad) going on at the Gourley house, and teaching has remained my constant, and I am so, SO grateful for that!

With September almost being over, I'm at that stage where my student's personalities are fully showing--I love it! The best is getting to know them through some of the assignments I give at the beginning of the school year. My favorite is probably the Bucket List Book assignment, where I have my students write down 10 things they want to accomplish before they die, and then they take a few of those bucket list items and turn them into "SMART" goals. Giving this assignment has taught me that there are 2 kinds of kids in jr. high: the kids who make goals like, "get married, become a doctor, or publish a novel," and then there's the other kind who make goals like, "fill a hot tub full of jello" or my personal favorite from this year, "Get a first kiss." Behold:
And in case you're wondering what "romance" is in jr. high.... it's going to the movies.

Aren't jr. high kids just the best?! They seriously kill me. They also think it's a really big deal that I have fake Yeezy shoes, and I'm always flattered when they think they are real and that I can afford $600 shoes. Yes, jr. high kids are a good breed. A good, hilarious, weird, confused little breed that I enjoy getting to know more and more every single day.

I'm sure there's more I can fill you in on for this 2016-2017 school year, but I'm just going to leave it at that for now, because it's my day off and I have a birthday weekend to prepare for + mourn the loss over Brangelina (JK. I was always team Jennifer!!) + let my basic white girl out and make pumpkin everything in celebration of it officially being Fall now.

Happy Friday! I've missed you, blog world.

 photo postsignature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS