Wednesday, July 20, 2016

tidbits of life // updates

When you get a snapchat from your sister that says, "Update your blog, damnit!," I guess you're kind of required to write a blog post . . .  damnit.

Jokes! I am glad Shelbs encouraged + slightly threatened me to update this blog, because I have missed it! All Summer I have made mental notes to myself to "blog about this..." but then life gets in the way and I tell myself I'll blog tomorrow. And by life, I mean Netflix or going to the pool, but guys! Scandal! Tan lines! Priorities, duh.

So, to make up for all my mental notes to blog that have been wasted, I'm just going to throw everything I've wanted to update blog world on into this one post. Yes, that means a list post! You know I love me some lists--they're like the snapchat floral crown filter of the blogging world--the best.

And because I never really know how to transition into the list part of the blog post. . . here we go! Enjoy?


Summer of Shay. As you might have already guessed, a good portion of my summer break has consisted of Netflix + the pool + no makeup and I'm not sorry about it. In my defense though, I have woken up every single day at 7:00 with Chris, worked out, and cleaned the house ("See, Chris! I do stuff!"). I will say that sometimes I have felt like Rapunzel when she sings "When Will My Life Begin," though (7am the usual morning line up....) because what the heck do you do all summer while everyone else works?! (answer: hangout with your teacher friend, Keisha!) But other than that, the Summer of Shay has been bueno bueno! And I'm kind of not ready to think about seating charts and classroom management and revamping my lessons just yet.  Why is summer cruising by so fast?!


Chris. You know how I always talk about Chris being a grown up? Well, he's found a way to be an even grownier grown up this summer (says an educator of young people). First, he graduated from his Master's program in June (yay for having a husband on Tuesdays and Thursdays again!), and then just a few weeks after graduating, he got a new job! Um, hi! Grown up pants! Chris will still be working for Intermountain Health Care, but now as a Clinical Quality Improvement Manager. I'm so proud of him!!! I still am not sure I fully understand how Chris is capable of being part manchild part grown up pants, but I'll take it!

TRUCK, YEAH! Speaking of Chris . . . he somehow swindled me into agreeing that we totally need a truck + found the deal of a lifetime on KSL. Chris has been waiting for his perfect "grandpa truck" to come along, and last Thursday, his waiting was finally over. And if you don't know what a "grandpa truck" is, it's when the truck belonged to a grandpa who barely ever drove it, and was in pretty much perfect condition--exactly what we got. I'm not gonna lie, it is pretty dang fun having a truck, even if it is my new sister wife (Chris is obsessed to say the least). We call her "The Silver Bullet," even though someone pointed out to us that that is the name of a popular vibrator. I suggested we call it something like "The Silver Fox," but Chris insists that it's name is The Silver Bullet. So that's that, and we're stickin' to it! Hello more camping + stargazing date nights + hauling my bike around + Chris doing manly man stuff!

Clean Simple Eats Challenge. Guys, I really have loved doing this challenge! I think what I've loved about it most is that it really is geared towards making lifestyle changes instead of just being a "quick fix." Like, okay maybe I don't need to put that much cheese on everything (WHO AM I?!?). I think I've enjoyed it so much because the food really is dang good, and I haven't felt like I'm depriving myself or that I've even been on a "diet." Have there been times that it's been hard? Yes (Um, hi 4th of July weekend!). But for the most part, it really has been do-able. I feel like my body doesn't look way different then when I started (I've only lost 5 pounds), but I feel so much stronger, and my mind feels clearer and I'm totally going to continue to eat a lot of the same food that's come from this meal plan. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to post before and after pics...but for now, here's a pic of my food from the meal plan, which I'm sure we'd all rather see anyway(insert heart eyed emoji):


Projies. The Summer of Shay would not be complete without doing lots of projects--"projies," as Chris likes to call them. Last year, my projy was to paint our entire town home. This year, projies have included painting the shutters outside, painting the garage, finishing our yard, and my favorite of them all: painting nightstands for us! You know you're a freaking grown up when you are thrilled to finally have matching nightstands. Behold:
Also, let's pretend that's how clean the top of my nightstand always is, and that's it's NEVER covered with McDonald's foam cups that are partially filled with water. Fun fact: the Summer of Shay has made me realize that I am super high maintenance when it comes to my ice water--foam cup + straw-- no exceptions. Poor Chris had to learn the hard way that you do NOT throw any foam cup of any sort away on my watch. Ha!


Annnnd I think that's it? Consider this blog updated... damnit!


 photo postsignature.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Losing 5 pounds is amazing...damnit! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest dresser!!!! And way to go on the healthy eating - those look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS