Thursday, April 23, 2015

Emily Alice Hamill Sanderson


So, I've definitely been avoiding this post. . . mostly because every time I would try to sit down and write it, I would get a huge lump in my throat and have to suppress the big ol' alligator tears trying to escape. I thought after my grandma's funeral yesterday I would have an easier time writing, but I was wrong... the lump is still in my throat, and the alligator tears have found themselves all the way down to my neck. I've been sitting here for almost 2 hours now writing, then deleting, paragraph after paragraph because they just aren't good enough. There's so much to say about my grandma Sanderson! So many memories to share! So many things I would love to tell blog world about my grandma, but I've decided blog world doesn't need to know every little detail, every single reason I love my grandma, and every little thought I've had over the past week. Not today, at least.

However, I will say that her funeral service yesterday was perfect. The people there, the speakers, her green casket, the confetti, the wind chimes, and everyone wearing green to honor her Irish heritage--she would have loved it all! And despite it being an emotionally exhausting day, I loved it all, too.
My most favorite thing from the service was my dad's life sketch he wrote for my grandma, which is why I thought I would at least share that with blog world. My dad won't admit it, but he definitely inherited my grandma Sanderson's talent for writing poetry. So here it is. Enjoy learning a little more about my grandma from my dad. 

Mom's Life Sketch
by: Kelly Sanderson

Anyone who knew my mom 
For any length of time
Should understand that her life sketch 
Just has to be in rhyme 

It starts with a disclaimer though
I feel I really should
My poetry skills are lacking much 
While hers were very good

Em’ was born in Payson there, 
In Nineteen Twenty-Eight
Marie and Frank’s first child to them
January 9th, the date.  

Her family lived in Marysvale
The clan remained the same
A little brother soon followed her 
Edward was his name

It was here she made a lifelong friend
We thank you, Nan, for that.
The two remained so very close 
And loved to talk and chat

Em’ and Ed seemed very close  
Siblings at their best
A decade of togetherness  
Was about to get a test.  

Her mother died when she was twelve, 
Her dad within the year 
Orphaned, split, then fostered out,
Not much to really cheer 

Mom was lucky, Ed was not
While he often ran away
The Hansen home eventually 
Made Mother’s life okay

School years in Provo found 
A grad of BY High 
Followed by some college time
She studied at the ‘Y’

She met a handsome sailor man
Blind date initially
They were wed and from then on known
As Jiggs and M.L.E

Pleasant Grove would be their home
For most of seventy years
Ned and Melva and countless more 
Would count among their peers

While in PG the message came 
About her only other
Killed in battle, the Korean War
Had claimed her only brother. 

So now alone, her family gone
Lucky she found dad 
The two of them began their own
Too busy to stay sad

Raising Tom, Ed, Mark, and Steve
An easy task (I’m lying!)
The rest of us that followed them 
Are thankful they kept trying!

Carol was born……Robynn next
Her tragic death a shame
New Year’s Day from that day forth
Was never quite the same 

Sharlene and Kelly wrapped it up
Numbers seven and eight
Kelly will humbly tell you all
Eight tries to make it great.  

Designing floats and posters many 
Her writings such a hit
Countless toasts for weddings, plus
It showcased her great wit

She’d hold us down and tickle us
Even if tears were near
The torture only ceased when said  
“I love you, Mother Dear!”

Outside the kitchen window screen  
One could almost bet
That unsuspecting passers by 
Most likely would get wet

You’d wheel around in time to see 
Mom quietly doing the dishes 
And then proclaim her innocence 
Her halo set…….(She wishes!)

Our parents really supported us 
In everything we tried
Wrestling, dance, and football games
Her children were her pride

She loved to go to Ladies Camp
The best of friends met there
A week of crafts and discussing things
Secrets they would share

Too many friends to mention though 
They loved to just be silly
I’ll mention one, her name was Jo, 
We knew her as “Mitt Millie”

Some quirky traits she also had
She’d drag us through D.I.
Each item looked at… very close
And then would never buy

The kicker though, as we look back
Pleading wouldn’t thwart her
If we were good we’d get a gift… (sigh)
A grab bag for a quarter!

And every grandchild can attest
When she sent regards
Confetti fell all over them 
While opening up their cards

Later on, with kids all gone
There came a mission call
They returned, with two great friends
By the name of Mendenhall.  

When Mark and Erin arranged a trip
Way across the sea
To Ireland with dad and mom
They found her family!

The orphan without anyone
So early on just found
Her Irish side so proudly now
Had relatives abound!

She really developed who we are
And might we add for laughs
We thank you now, we’re grateful for
No waist … and great big calves!

A character now our mother was 
She always made life fun
She lived her life as He would want
To Emily now, “well done!”

This toast is meant for tribute, Mom
We want to make it clear
We really desire for you to know
“We love you, Mother Dear”

3 comments:

  1. This was beautiful! I'm glad you shared. Even the tiny bit that I just read made me want to know her! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so sweet! Your dad is a really good writer! She sounds like an awesome lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are sad. It's hard to lose a loved one. This poem is fantastic, what a sweet, loving woman!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS