Thursday, March 5, 2015

my confession in fourth period

Let's talk about my fourth period class.

Ah, fourth period... such a love/hate relationship. Love that they participate and make me laugh--a lot. Hate that they are so chatty and get off topic--a lot.

But today I just couldn't help but have nothing but love for them. We were going over basic first-aid today and were discussing bleeding/bandaging and I showed them this picture:


class: "Oh my gosh, Mrs. Gourley! Why would show us this?! Eww!" 
me: "Because you need to know what types of bleeding there are. Plus, I think it's fascinating." 

That's when I made the mistake of going off on a tangent about how I went to phlebotomy school and learned how to draw blood. Then I made the bigger mistake of telling my class that I love to see, and I quote, "big, juicy veins." That's when I knew I was done for. Half the class roared with laughter and the other half had their eyebrows raised like did our teacher really just say that? + one student immediately said, "Umm... could you please not use the word, 'juicy' to describe veins, please?" 

After reassuring my class that I am not a vampire, I tried to continue on with my lecture. 

me: "Okay, so what is the purpose of bandaging?" 
class: "TO COVER UP BIG, JUICY VEINS!"

... I couldn't even get mad at them. I was laughing too hard! What freaking little smart-A's! I am happy to say that we made it through the rest of the lecture, but the phrase 'big, juicy veins' was shouted out probably 20 times more than need be during a first-aid lesson. That's what I get for being chatty and off topic, I guess. 

Maybe this is just one of those you-had-to-be-there moments, but I wanted to document--I had to! Because today was probably one of the funnest days I've had while student teaching and definitely one of those I made the right career choice! moments. Also, I have a feeling that I'm going to need this post to look back on when my fourth period class ticks me off on a different day. But for today, I'm just going to love them and be grateful that there were no penis jokes made after I confessed that I love big, juicy veins.

 photo postsignature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS