Monday, June 16, 2014

Marathoning(!!!)

But first, a first-world problem: Having so many pictures you want to share on Insta or Facebook but not wanting to be annoying, so you just settle for picking one... that was me after my marathon. I know! I know! I'm rolling my eyes, too. But isn't that what blogs are for? Acceptable picture dumps of crappy, phone-quality photos?! Indulge me.








 This marathon just seemed a lot better this time around...there were a lot less flapping bum cheeks and side-road pee-ers than I remembered, also, because I got to run it with my brother! Running is so much better with someone, especially when that someone is a sibling. I feel like I've gotten a lot closer to my brother through training and I will forever be grateful for that. It's also a plus having a hot husband waiting for you at the finish line with flowers and being your race paparazzi ;) I guess the only bad part about my marathon this year was tripping at mile 25 and scraping my knees. Oh, and miles 16-20.

I kept telling everyone after my race that I'm probably going to stick to half marathons for a little while, but now that I'm starting to heal and I've graduated from baby giraffe to senior citizen walking down the stairs, I'm gettin' that itch for another one... we'll see, though. I don't think Chris is quite ready for me to dish out another $90 to NOT sleep in on Saturdays for another 4 months...

Even if the training is long and painful, I'd still recommend running a marathon to basically anyone. It's probably one of the most challenging things I've done--physically and mentally. Not to mention one of the most rewarding. I'm not talking about the comments and praises from other people, either (I realized this weekend how awkward I am after someone congratulates me. I just kind of shrug my shoulders and say thaaaaanks in a voice 3 octaves higher than my own). I'm talking about the satisfaction that comes from accomplishing your goal, and seeing what your body is capable of. You'll seriously surprise yourself! If running a marathon isn't really your thing, I hope you find something out there that can offer you the same rewarding feeling.

Now that I've given my inspiring, thoughtful, pre-game talk (maybe it's my internship?!), I'll just leave you with some  FAQs I got this weekend:

What was your time? 4:27:13.7 (slow and steady wins the race, right?!)

Did you beat your PR? Barely, by like, 7 seconds! I'm blaming my inappropriate relationship with Dr. Pepper for that one + not being able to go potty before, during, or after the race (TMI?)

Are you sore? YES YES YES. Not as bad today, though.

How early did you have to wake up? 2:45 am

Are the last 6 miles really the hardest? I didn't think so. For me, it really was miles 16-20. Mile 21 is where I got to see Chris and my family and that really pumped me up and helped me keep going + there were Otter Pops at mile 23.

Do you want to do another marathon? Absolutely! I'm just not sure which one or when yet...

How long did you train? Too damn long. Five months. (If anyone is interested in the training schedule I used, feel free to email me)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now that I've finished this humble brag post, I'm off to enjoy a big huge bowl of honey combs and an episode of Grey's Anatomy (officially hooked!) with my beloved basketball shorts and top-knot. Happy Monday, folks!

 photo postsignature.jpg

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me!!! ONLY 4 hours?! Heck it would take me 6 I swear. I have always dreamed of running a marathon but am so scared of the commitment!!! I quit training after a week.. I'm so bad...Sounds like an awesome experience and you are inspiring! I'm so glad youre hooked on Grey's... it's the best thing since sliced bread. And totally made me want to be a surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rach! I'd train with you :) It really does help to do it with someone... just sayin'. And holy Grey's Anatomy... I can't stop watching it! I'm like, did I make the wrong career choice? How do I become a school teacher by day and a surgeon that works with beautiful people by night?! hahaha LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS